How deep do you really sleep? Do you wake up feeling fantastic, totally refreshed everyday? If you get 'enough' sleep but don't feel refreshed in the morning, its likely the quality of your sleep is suffering. Its one thing to get to sleep, its another thing to entirely sleep deeply, and it doesn't come naturally for everyone.
These are the best ways to get really deep into your sleep, really deep into the REM state:
- Keep your hands and feet warm. Wear socks and gloves (even those $1 knit gloves will work well). If you wake up hot you will take them off without even thinking about it (I often wake up to find the gloves and socks on the floor :) ).
- Go to the bathroom 30 minutes before bed, then again just before bed (sometimes it takes twice to really "empty the tank").
- Do your best to block all light from the room. Even a little bit can be very distracting.
- Do NOT the light on if you have to get up to use the bathroom. This blows your circadian rhythm right out of the water.
- Keep the clock out of sight. If you do wake up, most people will look immediately at the clock, and it will immediately get your brain running full speed. It yanks your brain out of its sleep state.
Last but not least:
- Get a decent Pillow - there are $5 pillows, but I haven't found any decent ones. Get a $20-40 pillow. If you sleep on your side you want a thicker one than if you sleep on your back.
I wish you the best of luck using these tips to get a deeper nights sleep. Used properly they should let you sleep like a baby.
If you want to go even further, here is a cutting edge method to getting great sleep.